Chapter 1
The Door
8 year old Linda May Steel squished her nose to the window of the boat as she peered out at the fast moving water.
“Mama, when are we going to get to the Virginia Farm?” Linda turned towards her Mama.
Mrs. Steel said, “We still have till tomorrow, Linda. Why don’t you go get me some tea?”
“What kind of tea do you want, Mama? The flavors are peppermint, and chamomile.”
“Peppermint sounds really good, Linda.”
“Okay! I’ll be right back!” Linda got up and walked towards the refreshment station.
When she was a little closer, she saw that they were all out of tea, so she started to walk back, but as she turned around, she saw something glinting behind a curtain.
Linda pushed back the curtain, and saw that it was a door carved into the wall! Linda looked around to make sure nobody was watching, and then she tried the doorknob. It worked!
“I wonder what’s in here?” she thought. She opened the door, but only saw darkness.
She felt along the walls, and felt a light switch. She flipped it on, stepped through the door, and gasped!
* * * * *
“I can’t believe it!” She thought. Behind the door was the biggest library she had ever seen! Linda walked in, shut the door, and looked around. There was one shelf in particular that caught her eye.
Linda walked over to it, and caught her breath. On the shelf were some Bibles, hymn books, and CDs. Linda picked up one of the CDs and looked around for a CD player, but didn’t see one, so she put the CD in her pocket.
“I shouldn’t stay long, or Mama will worry about me—what’s on that shelf?” Linda walked over to another shelf and saw books like, The Call of the Wild, Robinson Crusoe, A Little Princess, and other classics. Linda picked up a book called Little Women and picked a chair to sit in.
* * * * *
About half an hour later, Linda looked at her watch. “Oh no! I need to get back to Mama! She’ll want the tea!” Linda sadly put down the book and went out the door, only to find that she couldn’t see the refreshment stand!
Chapter 2
Lost
“Where am I?” Linda thought as she looked around. “Are there two doors in the library?” Linda turned and went back into the library. She looked around, but she didn’t see a door! “Mama! Where are you?” Linda sat down on a chair, and cried.
* * * * *
About twenty minutes later, Linda looked up. “I wonder what woke me—” BOOM! “Ah! What was that?! Oh, some books fell off the shelves, I should probably put them back” Linda tried to stand, but only fell back on the chair. “Wow, there must be a big storm going on, I wish there was a porthole, or a window, or something!” Linda kept trying, and was finally able to get up and turn all the way around.
She saw two doors, so she walked up to one and slowly opened it. It was the “mysterious room” as Linda had titled it. Linda looked around for something to write on, and saw a cabinet. “I wonder why I never saw that before!”
She walked over to it, and opened it without any effort. Inside were some paper, pens and pencils, tape, and a CD player! Linda took two pieces of paper and a pencil, and wrote, ‘Misteerious Room’ on one piece, and ‘Main Room’ on the other. She took four pieces of tape and taped the pieces of paper on the right doors.
Then Linda turned off the lights, went into the main room, and shut the door. Then she ran back to her Mama, but she wasn’t there! “She must be looking for me! Why did I have to take so long? Maybe she’s in the bathroom!” Linda walked towards the bathroom, but it was empty! “Mama! I need you!” Linda walked back to her seat and sat down.
* * * * *
Five minutes later Linda heard someone walking towards her. Linda looked up and saw Mama and a man dressed in a suit (Who Linda thought must be the Captain).
“Mama! Mama!” Linda cried over and over again.
“Oh, my baby, my poor baby! Where were you? We had the whole boat looking for you!” Mrs. Steel said.
“I was in a cool room, with lots of books, like a library! I can show you if you want!”
“Maybe tomorrow dear, I think you need to go to sleep.”
“Okay, Mama. You can just wake me up in the morning when you want to see the library!”
Mrs. Steel smiled at her daughter, then turned to the Captain, “Thank you so much, Captain Stanley. I’m sorry it was so much trouble.”
“Oh, don’t mind it, Mrs. Steel! Just doing my part! If you don’t mind, I’d like to see this library that your daughter was talking about, if that’s okay.”
“Oh, sure! Before I wake Linda up I’ll come get you, okay Captain?”
“Yes that should be fine! Just don’t wake me up too early!”
Chapter 3
Bye!
“Linda! Linda, honey, wake up! Captain Stanley is here. Come on Linda, wake up!” Mrs. Steel said.
“Oh, okay, Mama, you want to see the library?” Linda looked up sleepily and yawned. “Right this way!”
Linda led her Mama and Captain Stanley to the curtain by the refreshment stand, opened the door, turned on the lights, and walked in.
“Wow, I never knew this was here, and that shouldn’t be, I am the captain of this ship!” Captain Stanley exclaimed.
“Yeah, and it’s huge, too! I don’t know how you missed it!” Linda said.
“Linda! You apologize to the Captain this instant!” Mrs. Steel said.
“Sorry, Captain. Oh, and over here is a mysterious room, I never really explored that, I didn’t really have time, I mean, well, I did have time I just-”
“Okay, Linda, I think we get the point, why don’t you show us the mysterious room so we can explore it?”
“Okay! Right over here!” Linda led them to the mysterious door and opened it. They walked in and the lights automatically turned on! Up ahead were some stairs, so they walked up those, reached the top, and some more lights turned on!
“What! This is my room! We can’t let the passengers have access to my room!” Captain Stanley said angrily!
“I’m sorry! I had no idea!” Linda said.
* * * * *
“There, I think that’s the last one. . . .” Captain Stanley grunted as he put up the last board to cover the door. “I just wanted to thank you, Linda! Without you, I never would’ve found this awesome library and a place to use the rest of my boards. Thank you. This room can now be open to the public!” Captain Stanley said.
“Oh, thank you, but I found it by mistake, so it doesn’t really count.” Linda said. “Um, Mama? When are we going to get to the-”
“The Virginia Farm?”
“Yeah.”
“We will get there sometime today!”
“Yay! And we’ll get to see Aunt Beth and Uncle Sam and Cousin Sarah and Cousin Nick, and I can’t wait!”


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting on my blog!! :D